Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Does a tasteful display of a dish justify an expensive bill?

This is something I don’t understand. I have experienced it in big cities and in some small cities.

Recently I was at a restaurant in New Orleans for lunch. I requested the chef to make me something, anything for lunch without meat or fish. He said he absolutely can. Next thing I know I saw the waiter bring out a lunch platter and I literally had to search for the food. I should admit that the display on the plate was like a piece of art. There was just a dot in there of a tomato stuffed with some rice and spinach seasoned with a tasty creole seasong. I took two bites and the meal was done. There was nothing left in the plate. I was still hungry of course. I decided to just have a fruit or something a little later. But what bothered me most was the bill of $24 charged for this special meal. I was pretty upset at having to spend a ridiculous amount for nothing and worse yet, leave hungry to have more food.

I believe it was a rip off. The lesson I learned is when I request a vegetarian meal, I need to specify that I have a limited budget to begin with. I made that mistake at this Adelaide restaurant in New Orleans. Never again though.

No comments:

Post a Comment