Monday, April 12, 2010

Cream Center, a multi-cuisine restaurant

Hmm! Cream Center? I had my doubts when I heard the name. But it came highly recommended by my husband. During his last visit to Chennai, some of his classmates treated him to an excellent lunch here. So, we decided to check it out last night.

The restaurant is in the center of a residential area in Abhirmapuram, and was a residence at one point. The ambience was good and it had a quiet, clean look . I would give an ‘A’ for service.

The menu had Greek, Mexican, Italian and Indian selections. It was more curiosity than anything else that caught my attention to this dish called ‘Dham Biryani’. The description said that it was a favorite of the Kings ages ago and would be served in the style of the unique palace kitchens. It came in a wide, shallow pot. The top layer was a sheet of pastry-like covering. I was initially confused since I had never seen anything like that before. I had a zillion questions to the waiter since I thought I had ordered the wrong dish. The waiter artfully peeled off the top cover to reveal the mildly spiced, aromatic biryani below. The very first layer had fluffy white basmati followed by a layer of flavorful vegetables, followed by another layer of rice. The dish overall was decent. I felt it was more exotic looking than any other rice dish I have had.

The other two dishes, vegetable soup and vegetable Makhani with an order of Paratha were not that great. The soup was tasty but the Makhani too sweet for our palette. Overall, I really would not rave about this place. But, the experience was different than the usual Indian restaurant.

No comments:

Post a Comment