Thursday, March 24, 2011

Mint, for the breath of freshness

I can't believe the universality of mint. I once had it grow wild in my backyard and used it on almost any Indian dish I prepared. Mint is the best garnish on pulav. My husband swears by the Indian preparation of mint chicken that this one restaurant serves. But, it is such a potent addition that we have to be very careful with it. Mint chutney of course is all mint but a great side dip if you are having samosa, Bhajias, cutlets, or anything similar. Mint raita is fabulous. However, if you try mint in a regular vegetable/gravy preparation, it can kill the dish.

Talking about universality, it is of course a great breath freshner used in gums, mouth wash, tooth paste, and oils. It is also used in insecticides on the one hand and aromatherapy on the other. I have known of people using it for insect bites, rashes, colds and sores.

I will try to incorporate mint into my next recipe of the week. Look out for a mint based Indian preparation. You're going to love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment