Saturday, October 2, 2010

Stretching before or after exercise?

I have always wondered which is better. Or, if both are necessary. After my rigorous routine on the stairmaster it's become a habit of mine to stretch. It helps me relax my muscles and also take a breath.

I seldom do it before exercise and skip it mainly because it would cut into my actual exercise time. Maybe it's for the better. The NYT article says that stretching before running for instance does not help and in fact hinders athletic performance.

2 comments:

  1. Sharon in WallingfordMonday, October 04, 2010

    HI Vidya,
    It's Sharon. I tend to agree with you on this topic. I almost never stretch before doing the little bit of exercise that I am able to fit in. It is usually right after my morning shower which seems to loosen up the muscles:)I get a few stretches in sitting at my desk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharon - with schedules like ours it's hard to keep up with an exercise routine. I do not have a home gym like you. I have to drive and that makes it more difficult.

    ReplyDelete