Friday, March 12, 2010

Taj Palace in Chesterfield, MO

Taj Palace is the second in the St. Louis area under the same ownership. The first one, India Palace is right outside St. Louis airport.

I am not the greatest fan of Indian restaurants in this country, and have to do much vicarious taste-testing before I step into one. But a co-worker who happens to be Russian, urged me to go out with her for lunch to Taj Palace. It was the first Indian restaurant experience for her. So, I went.

I was a little surprised to see quite a decent crowd on a Thursday afternoon. This place is in a humongous shopping Center and has a good corner location. Well lit and decent decor for an Indian restaurant. It is still new though and I am sure the decor will improve in the next few months. I can even vouch for it since India Palace has a great ambience and decor.

It was a buffet lunch with Naan, plain pulav, 3 vegetarian and 3 meat dishes. They also had a couple desserts. The vegetarian dishes while I wouldn’t call them superb, were pretty decent- saag paneer, mixed vegetables and dhal. My co-worker liked the meat dishes as well. The degree of spice was a 1, a bit too mild for my palette. The mango custard was anything but. I don’t know why they would name a dish one thing and serve some thing quite different. The rice pudding was okay.

The waiters were courteous and the service was good as well. Overall, I would give it a rating of 2.5 on a 5 scale.

1 comment: