Monday, April 4, 2011

Obesity in Greece?

Well, contrary to what I was thinking, the mediterranean diet is more of a model in the US than in Greece where it originated. More than a little disappointing is it not? It seems Greece is also one of the countries battling obesity. Cities and small towns of Greece that once had fresh vegetables, fruits, nuts, olive oil now have fast-foods, fat rich diets, pizzas and fries. It gets to be a bit scary when parents compare cholesterol readings of their children instead of grades!

One other country that shocked me was India. During my last visit there I found excessively heavy young children and teenagers. This was in the upper middle to upper class where money is also in excess. I had never seen teenagers this heavy. What I realized was the availabilty of fatty foods everywhere, especially in homes. Can't blame the children if that's all is available. I am not sure if the rich parents are equating success and wealth to weight! I had never known a need to have gyms because we did most of our commuting by walk or taking public transportation. That seems to have almost disappeared as well among the wealthy.

2 comments:

  1. Good. I don't have to feel really bad about my weight. It's a world concern. Hey, food is good and the best comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am astonished to see a citizenry that is comprised of corpulent people! Too brag or give a pat answer to such a serious problem is shall we say, part of the problem.

    Yesterday I saw women working their way to an ice cream shop. I am quite certain that one of their legs was the weight of a healthy woman. This is not a criticism. It is a simple observation and a fact.

    Does going to an "All You Can Eat" buffet entitle the patron to do exactly what is promoted. The gluttony of those who frequent such establishments are almost vulgar in their eating habits.

    Personal pride is dead. Obesity is the societal norm unfortunately.

    MJ

    ReplyDelete