Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Marathons for the brave and ambitious only

Sure, I have thought about running marathons. I am very inspired by people who have done that. My close family members, all women have ran marathons. I used to work for a CIO about 62 years old at the time who completed a couple every year.

Like most things I believe it begins from thinking it and then translating it to the physical aspect, disciplined practices every day, some intense practices right before the run, etc. I read an article about the effects of a marathon on children. Like all studies the results are of course controversial. One study says it is good and the other says they could become prone to more injuries and long term consequences.

My suggestion would be to get children to do short ones like they do initially in gym classes and slowly build them up. I'm still not sure if cross country running could be considered as marathon training. These runners do 6-10 miles in an evening right after a full-working school day. Sounds painful. I'm not sure if I am cut out for marathons at all inspite of all the great examples in my own family. Nah, not for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment