Sunday, January 30, 2011

Women in African countries

As you can see from the title, today's blog is a deviation from the norm. Although this is not a revelation, I needed to share it with my readers.

One way to kill time during a flight is to sleep but if you can't I think the next best thing is to get a drink, eat or read. At least you can kill some of the time. Today's flight was uneventful which is always good. Unfortunately, I was restless and terribly disturbed by an article I read in the airline magazine about rape of women in several African countries like Sudan, Rwanda, Congo, and Uganda where men treat women with utter disrespect, dehumanize and humiliate them in the worst possible way.

I read rape of women is the norm and the ages range from 3 to even 83. Men not only dominate sexual relations but do it in very unsafe and savage ways, and women have no say at all even though they know this means risk of being infected by HIV and AIDS.

I wonder if things will ever change in these cursed countries of Africa where life in all ways is so deplorable. Women's interest organizations are trying to help in several ways but it could be a long time before changes take effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment