Monday, September 12, 2011

The wonder vegetable, Okra

People in the U.S. are used to finding Okra in the frozen section, especially in the midwest and northeast. The best tasting Okra are available in warm weather areas. There is nothing like fresh Okra lightly salted and sauteed with a touch of mustard seeds, urad lentil (found in Indian grocery stores)with a hot red chillie pepper for garnish. There are quite a few recipes in various forms such as fried, stuffed, stewed or dried Okra. My posting at vidyaswamyskitchen next week will have an Okra recipe. Here are the nutritional values of Okra from bits of information I gathered. One half cup contains:

Calories = 25
Dietary Fiber = 2 grams
Protein = 1.5 grams
Carbohydrates = 5.8 grams
Vitamin A = 460 IU
Vitamin C = 13 mg
Folic acid = 36.5 micrograms
Calcium = 50 mg
Iron = 0.4 mg
Potassium = 256 mg
Magnesium = 46 mg

Enjoy and look for Okra recipe at my kitchen web site.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Okra is not my favorite vegetable and I come from the south. But, I am a health freak. So, maybe I can try this!

    ReplyDelete