Saturday, December 12, 2009

Buttermilk or Milk?

Just this past week I was at the vegetable market in Newtown Square buying my usual dose of fruits and veggies. I also go here to pick up buttermilk. I had six quarts in my cart. i.e. for 2 weeks. A college student standing right behind asked me in an amusing tone what it is that I do with all that buttermilk, said was just curious and didn’t want to offend me.

No, I was not offended at all. I told her that I drink buttermilk and use it instead of milk. Buttermilk agrees better with me, there is more nutrition and lesser calories in buttermilk. The one thing that I do not particularly care for about buttermilk in the stores here is that they add a bit of salt to it. And, the consistency is too thick. So, I add a good bit of water, dilute it and then drink it. I mostly like to make it at home with 1% milk and it turns out great. Also tastes better than the store bought ones. Sometimes I lose the culture to continue making it especially when I am out of town. Stores promote probiotic in yogurt. What is buttermilk? Exactly the same. There is good bacteria in buttermilk that promotes digestion and gives us the following: vitamins, potassium, phosphorous, calcium, B12. Buttermilk just feels more refreshing and healthy to me. Maybe this is in my mind but that’s how I feel when I drink buttermilk. Look for tips on how to make good buttermillk naturally in my list of recipes for next week right here.

1 comment:

  1. I have had kefir, which is also a cultured milk. It reminds me of drinking yogurt but more in a liquified form. I wonder what is the difference. I never thought about it until I read your post.

    ReplyDelete