Sunday, August 12, 2012

Thai beats Indian when it comes to spicy hot food

Spicy food is good. Hot and spicy food is too good.  Thai hot and spicy? It depends.

I've always liked tasty Thai food. I would rate it sort of close to Indian in the ingredients and some of the spices used.  When it comes to spice range, I don't think any other cuisine comes close.  Here's a tip when you order Thai food in an authentic Thai restaurant. 

Never make the mistake of asking for hot thai food.  Am sure many of you have experienced this but it is unbearable.  Your tongue might even get scalded if you don't watch. A couple times I asked for hot and couldn't eat the food.  I barely had a bit and walked out hungry. So, now adays I go for mild and medium at the most depending on the dish.

However, I thought salads are supposed to be mild in any cuisine.  I had a julianned radish, carrot and cherry tomato salad with a lightly sweetened dressing with some crushed peanuts.  Hidden among these were, I thought one or two tiny bits of green chillies. A great idea as green chillies add flavor to a dish. The first bite was bearable, the second spicy and by the third I had tears flowing down.  Had probably a gallon of water, then looked closely at the salad.

Little did I know there were quite a few of those green chillies and some had a red tinge on them and they were hotter than the pure greeen ones. The salad would have tasted delicious if not for those colorfully speckled chillies in it. So, the lesson is look at the range and rating of the spices in any Thai restaurant.  If there is a wide range go toward the lower end of the spectrum.  If it is a short scale, go for the lowest.

No comments:

Post a Comment