Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Total Wines, the best of the best

The best wine shop around where I live is 'Total Wines', the largest I have seen. It is bigger than a Walmart. Visiting this to me is like going to Disney World. For one thing, I don't know much about wines. Secondly, there are aisles and aisles of wine from all around the world stacked up to the ceiling that I truly do not know where to begin.

I usually go up to the salesperson for recommendations. The last time I was there, he was so friendly and kept offering me different wines to taste. After a few shots and feeling a little tipsy, I picked up some cases with a mix of each kind he recommended and ended up spending more than necessary. Of course it was holiday time and I knew it will be used up in no time. And, it was.

Here are some things I learned that could help you.

- Don't step into shops that are too warm.
- Get to know the salesperson, they are generally knowledgeable.
- If you don't know much about wines, admit it. You will come out learning a whole lot.
- Purchase wines that will go with different types of food especially if your family is a foodie family like mine. This way there will be a wine to match any type of food especially during holiday time.
- Don't look for the names you have seen on a wine list in restaurants. Most expensive is not necessarily the best.
- Local wines can be as good or better than imported ones.
- Last of all there are organic wines available if you are into natural health foods.

No comments:

Post a Comment