Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Swiss Chard, my recent discovery

I have passed by this mountain of Swiss Chard in the Farmer's market for years. And every week the thought that people can create something edible out of this green leafy vegetable baffled me. I never dared to cook anything with it myself.

Well, that changed a year or so ago. Since then, I have been reading quite a bit about these buttery tasting, nutritious greens. Finally, today I bit the bullet and decided to cook them.

What a surprise! They do taste great. I'd suggest you discard the white stalks and stick with the greens alone. I tried the stalk and they taste like pesticide. But, the greens are like regular spinach. Look for a simple recipe on next week's recipe of the week.This week's is Vegetarian chilli.

No comments:

Post a Comment