Monday, June 28, 2010

Creamed Soups

I love those creamy soups as in corn, asparagus, broccoli, spinach, even potato. If you are a pure vegetarian like I am one thing you'd need to be careful about is what kind of stock they use in these soups.

I saw this on TV some years ago. The chef happily poured in the chicken stock when he was making broccoli soup and called it vegetarian. Since then I always ask the waiter if any type of meat stock is used in preparing these soups. And rarely have I found them using vegetable stock.

One thing to note is that vegetarians are not all non-meat eaters, and I don't know why they call themselves vegetarians. So it is confusing when restaurants especially Thai, Chinese and Malaysian say they have a vegetarian menu and then you see a long list of seafoods. The interpretation of a vegetarian I guess is different around the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment