Thursday, June 10, 2010

Fennel

Maybe my exposure to food is limited although I have traveled quite a bit to other exotic countries. Lately, I have been reading about fennel used in salads. I did not know that fennel bulbs can be used in cooked or raw foods. Outside of Indian food, I know Persians use it in their cooking to some extent as well.

I use them quite cautiously in certain vegetarian preparations since they have a strong flavor and aroma. A touch adds a lot. The health benefits are innumerable.

Health Benefits:

Fennel seeds aid digestion. After a heavy meal, a teaspoon of fennel seeds is a perfect remedy to avoid indigestion and flatulence. It is a great breath freshner as well. I have also heard that it helps with women's monthly cycles.

There is a new recipe, fennel salad that I came across. Let me try that and will then talk about it. I need to find out where those fennel bulbs may be available. If my readers know about it, do write back.

No comments:

Post a Comment