Friday, June 25, 2010

Apricot, a fruit of the senses

For many years my exposure to apricots was restricted to story books and colorful pictures. The first time I actually tasted apricots was when a Persian friend brought an incredibly tasty apricot dessert when I was in high school. Followed by another Greek dessert with apricots and figs that I bought at a store that was sensual, exotic and delicious. I was hooked. I believe Alexander the Great, introduced apricots to Greece. I guess that must have influenced Turkey as well. When I was in Turkey a couple years ago, the morning breakfast at this quaint place always had yogurt, figs and apricots among other dry fruits and nuts.

Apricot is tasty as is. But added to cereals, juices or ice cream makes it taste extraordinary. On the health end, I know apricots are high in fiber and filled with anitoxidants. I have also found it to be a satisfying snack between meals. To top it off, apricots are aphrodisiacs. Can it get any better?

No comments:

Post a Comment