Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Mushrooms

I have written about mushrooms in some earlier blogs. But I need to get back to it while my experience is fresh in my mind. About 10 days ago I bought a large box of mushrooms, left them in the fridge and completely forgot about them.

While I was cleaning out the refrigerator I found the box with those big white mushrooms quite dark and dried up. I was in two minds as to whether to trash it or not. But, I had spent a pretty penny on them. I am a health nut and if I hear something is good for your health, I buy in bulk and feed my entire family, friends and neighbors so everybody can reap the benefits.

Mushrooms reconstitute, and although they didn't look as pretty as firm, or moist as the fresh ones, they cooked fine. I cooked them in olive oil with some garlic and herbs. Quite basic and they tasted great.

Health benefits are a long list - low in calories, packed with nutrients, and an excellent source of B vitamins and minerals, including selenium, copper, potassium, phosphorous, zinc and manganese. Mushrooms also contain a powerful antioxidant called L-ergothioneine. Throughout Asia, they're revered for their immune-boosting properties. They also contain more protein than most vegetables, and their meaty texture makes them a good choice for vegetarians. Shiitake, maitake, oyster and king oyster mushrooms contain the highest amount of L-ergothioneine, but criminis, portabellas and white button mushrooms are also good sources.

No comments:

Post a Comment