Friday, July 23, 2010

A classic dessert for today's heat

It's been a long, hard week and being a Friday, I think I am done for the day. Just a couple things at work should wrap up the week for me. After that, I am heading straight to my favorite ice cream place in Media for that tantalizing mango gelato I saw somebody holding on their hand the other day while driving by. I couldn't stop the car so just said to myself another day. It's been a few weeks since then but today is the day. There's nothing to beat a mango gelato in summer. I especially love the one I get at Rita's water ice. I think they are the best in town. I make mango pie that's heavenly but haven't tried gelato.

Here's a recipe that will work.

Mix sugar and water. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat and chill. Then pick ripe mangoes and puree to a pulp. Test to see if the mangoes are sweet and not tart. Add a 1/2 cup of lime juice and then heavy cream. Mix well together. Transfer to a container and stir in the cream. Cover and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled, about 3 hours. You may freeze it in the ice cream maker for 2 hours.

2 comments:

  1. I make a ricotta pie that is delicious but loaded with calories. Maybe I should stick to the Mango recipe instead.
    Good day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If the sour cream and regular cream are better than ricotta, then yes, mango pie is better:)). I think if you are going to have dessert then don't count calories. They are bad any way you look at it.

    ReplyDelete