Tuesday, March 1, 2011

We are out worst critic

I have heard it several times and it's true. I am my worst critic be it work or cooking or looks or something else,... I tend to berate myself quite a bit. Latest on self image studies say it is a healthy thing to be kind of one self. People who are easy on themselves are happier and more content.

I don't know if setting high expectations for oneself would equate to self-esteem or lack of and in turn relate to contentment. However, studies say that self-compassion actually promotes everything that is positive in life. It is interesting to see how this translated to food.

One group, was given a lesson in self-compassion with the food. “I hope you won’t be hard on yourself,” the diet instructor said. “Everyone in the study eats this stuff, so I don’t think there’s any reason to feel real bad about it.” Well some out of guilt stayed away while others ate it because they were told not to feel bad. It turns out that people who did not eat actually engaged in 'emotional' eating later on, while others who actually ate some of the unhealthy food earlier on did not do any binge or emotional eating.

Actually I don't know where this study is going. What I gathered was it is better to be kind to yourself and this translates to a more positive happier individual.

No comments:

Post a Comment