Friday, March 4, 2011

Food labels

I think most people read labels. It has even become one of my favorite aspect of shopping. I look at the list of ingredients. Drop whatever I am holding if I see corn syrup, high sodium content (which usually is only in canned foods which I don't buy unless they are some thing like black-eyed peas, or garbanzo). And if I do buy them, I rinse them out completely and then use them. But after the sodium, I look at carbohydrates, sugar, then additives, saturated and unsaturated fat. Then move on to protein content. By now if the label hasn't passed of course it is back on the shelf. The product gets into my cart if they are fresh fruits or vegetables for sure, or if they are un-modified breads, natural juices and things like that.

When I buy desserts, I just look at the fat and corn syrup part of it. If those are okay then I get them. Nowadays we have to worry about GMO, the genetically modified foods. I think the government should pass a regulation to list them out as well. I will then try to avoid it too.

My family is usually very eager to check out my grocery purchases and most of the time get turned off when their favorite junk foods are not there. They usually are never there. Any complaints about no junk food usually results in NO JUNK food. If somebody wants them then they should go to the store to buy them. After it comes to the house they usually disappear within a day. They can then find it in the trash and by the third day they are usually forgotten because they think somebody has finished it off.

No comments:

Post a Comment