Friday, January 28, 2011

Less, more or no breakfast. Which is better?

The theories around less, more or no breakfast have come a full circle. For a long, long time it seemed to hang around 'big breakfasts'. Sounded great. Have a big meal in the morning with the hope that you won't have to eat much during lunch or dinner! I followed the first part of it to a 'T'. Big breakfast every morning. But I found I didn't eat any less at lunch or at dinner although I thought I did because I was following a proven method. I also thought my intake was probably pretty normal. Wrong.

Where were all those studies that are coming out now which say, 'Nah wishful thinking. Big breakfast don't mean smaller lunch or dinner. Just means more calories'. Some experiements have apparently come to conclusive answers stating that big breakfasts only means that you are packing on the calories.

So, am I going to stop eating the big breakfasts that I got used to over the past several years? Not a chance. I will a eat big breakfast, then a bigger lunch and an even bigger dinner.

2 comments:

  1. The question is not necessarily whether you eat fewer calories, but whether you LOSE WEIGHT. Nothing I've read about the study says whether or not people eating breakfast lost less or gained more weight than those eating. Weight loss is not just about calorie intake, but also about insulin release and metabolism.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Anonymous,

    I agree with what you have said about insulin release and metabolism. But if you strictly stick with calories, then bigger breakfast just means more calories and more weight gain. Where will all the extra calories go after insulin release and metabolism. It just gets converted into fat. Don't you think?

    ReplyDelete