Friday, January 25, 2013

How do you pick the right engergy bar?

I struggled with that question for a long time. My first snack/meal for several years was a protein bar.  The protein content said 16 grams; it sounded healthy and tasted great. I didn't bother to look at the long list of other ingredients until a relative pointed it out to me. The protein bar had an equal amount of carbohydrate and lots of corn syrup and sugar.

So, here's the lesson I've learned from a lot of reading and researching. A protein bar should not contain a paragraph listing of ingredients. The more ingredients, the worse it is for health. Secondly, don't go for artifical sweeteners. You are better off going for real sugar or cane sugar. Avoid anything with corn syrup, fructose and glucose. Pick a bar with natural fruit juice sweetening, natural healthy ingredients and at least over 16 grams of protein.

This might work for you as well. On some days I have a protein bar plus a light regular breakfast such as multigrain toast and juice, or fruits or a complex grain cereal. The point is no energy or protein bar can match a good high protein, low carb breakfast meal. It's best to not start the day out with anything sugary. My suggestions would be to avoid bagels, muffins, croissants, pastries, cookies, snacks and sodas first thing in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment