Sunday, October 28, 2012

Martha's Vineyard - an unforgettable experience

Martha's Vineyard is one of those vacation hotspots that's hardly mentioned in travel books. It's possible that an island such as this is best left pure and pristine. 

It is a summer escape, so I was dubious about the weather conditions the past weekend especially since the mainland Boston, was cold and wet. I was pleasantly surprised. The weather was mild and moderate, and this time of the year mid-October turned out to be ideal for the getaway as well. Taking the ferry to the island was also an unusal and unique experience for a person like me who is used to the haste and scrambled rush of busy week day commutes. It appeared that the few tourists who were there knew which restaurants and places to visit, and when. Many of the good restaurants were open. Which brings me to my favorite subject food.

The picture here is the dinner I had at The Alchemy, prepared by the chef especially for me. It was an all vege-tarian mild cheese, garlic and mushroom filled ravioli in a white sauce with sautéd broccoli raab on the side.

The dinner was followed by a combination of berries and ice cream gelato. I've not tasted anything like that before, absolutely delectable.

The Hob Knob I stayed at was a quaint Inn, sparkingly clean with a decor representative of New England homes of the 17th century. The Inn also appeared untainted by anything modern. The breakfast served every morning by the chefs of Hob Knob was spectacular, made with locally grown organic vegetables and fruits; noticeably different and natural tasting than the store bought, genetically modified foods. The staff at the Hob Knob made the stay pleasant and memorable, taking pains to serve their guests with simple luxuries and overwhelmed us with excellent service.

This vacation at the Hob Knob was my cooking contest prize and I would highly recommend it to my readers especially if money was not a concern. High season visits can get to be quite expensive and to the best of my knowledge Martha's Vineyard is a place where the affluent among us vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment