Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Mindfuly eating

Is it easy to meditate? Not for me. Whenever I attempt, it takes me a full 30 minutes to calm down even just a bit. It's not just one thought but several all at once like a series of movies, dramas and real life situations that race through my mind.

When I sit down to eat, it's the same race. A million thoughts rush in and before I know it, my plate is empty. I am not even sure what it is I ate at that meal. Possibly, many of you can relate to this crazy rush through life in everything we do.

There is a new way to deal with the hurried-stuffing of food and excess weight issues that result from it. It is called 'mindful eating'. It is a practice that's becoming more prevalent from universities to lunch hours at Google to holistic centers. The essence of 'mindful eating' is to think about the food and nothing else. The taste, texture, smell, looks, all being a part of it. The idea is to turn off the world completely and just focus on the food in front of you, relish every morsel, forget about everything else for a few mintues.

Advocates and experts on 'mindful eating' say we should spend meal time 'contemplating the enjoyment of spice, crunch, saltiness, warmth, tenderness and like-minded company'. Sounds easy. Actually, it may not be that easy. Although easier than trying out diets and failing miserably.

I'd say forget all diets. Just practice 'mindful eating' and who knows the excess pounds may just all melt away.

No comments:

Post a Comment